Horse or Pony Advert Listing Photography Guide
1. Sell your horse or pony quickly with our EquusBook easy to follow useful tips & image upload instructions guide.
We recommend you read this photography guide with useful tips to make sure your listing stands out from the crowd and looks professional. With every horse or pony listing, you have the opportunity to upload 6 Images and also include a video. This guide only takes a few minutes to read and will enable you to achieve the best possible results. You will also require access to a digital camera or Smart Phone that can take images above 3MB. Most modern mobile smartphones have a standard camera fitted that can take pictures 5MB or above in size.
Expert tip - Always capture your pictures in Landscape Orientation so they are optimised for the advert listing image holder.
2. How to professionally position your subject and take interesting photographs to entice the visitor with your advert listing
The default image size used with the EquusBook advert listing uploader is the most common 6:4 Ratio. Due to this reason we strongly recommend that all pictures are taken in landscape format.
However some newer mobile phones also utilise the 16:9 wide-screen image format. When using the 16:9 image ratio, it’s possible to crop the photographs when uploading on the website. But when taking the pictures you’ll need to position the horse or pony accordingly as per shown below.
It’s always good practice to leave some Free space around the edges allowing you to crop the image nicely when uploading and placing the advert.
If you wish to edit your photos with a 3rd party Image Editor the 6:4 ratio in pixels is equal to 1000px x 667px the preferred dimension size we require.
3. Provide a good selection of images to entice the viewer's attention
Adding variation to your listing with a wide selection of images taken from different angles or locations, will provide contrast and grab the attention of prospective buyers. Providing images of the horse or pony taken from the front, side or rear can generate interest along with pictures taken of the horse moving or with a rider mounted. Close up tightly cropped images are also great for highlighting any special unique features. You may also wish to upload the Pedigree Certificate documentation or photographs showing the horse or pony competing for example.
4. Useful information on how to quickly capture professional images
- Reduce camera shake - When taking the picture hold the camera or phone in both hands to reduce shake or ideally attach to a tripod to minimise the effect of any movement that can lead to noise and the image becoming blurred.
- Good lighting conditions - Always take pictures in natural daylight outdoors to ensure good lighting and try to avoid bad weather that will leave the photographs looking very dull. We also recommend you take the images with the sun behind you to prevent harsh lighting and burnout occurring. However if indoors try to use additional lighting or the camera flash, and sometimes increasing the ISO setting will improve the image brightness.
- Is everything in focus? - Make sure the subject is in focus before taking the photograph and you will require the highest ‘Aperture’ available for example F16 to ensure full focus. The Aperture setting is used to control the depth of field.
- Remove any background clutter - To enable the viewer to quickly focus on your subject matter we strongly recommend taking your photograph with a clear background that is free from clutter or additional items that can become very distracting.
- Make sure your primary image is a full image and not cropped - Whilst you are welcome to incorporate close-up images within your selection of 6 pictures provided with the listing. We recommend that the primary photograph should display the full horse or pony to ensure it’s fully visible within the listing searches.
- Accepted file formats - With most devices now capturing pictures in HD High Definition format 1920 x 1080 pixels wide. We only require an image 1000 x 667 pixels by default, however, don’t worry our advert listing software will resize and optimise your image on upload. Please note we accept the following popular file types for image submission uploading .jpg | .png | .tif | .gif | .bmp
5. Website Image Uploading Interface User Guide
Once you have taken the photographs and are happy with the results they can be quickly and easily be uploaded to create your listing by following the guide below.
It’s possible to upload images by dragging onto the upload box as per demonstrated above or clicking the ‘Upload Image’ below and locating the file on your device.
Once the picture is visible in the main box you can use the Crop, Move and Rotate tools below to manipulate the image. When you’re happy with the picture adjustments you need to click ‘Save Image’. However, before saving if you are unhappy with the image updates please click the Undo tool.
Please click on the image boxes 1-6 to select them. The active picture box will then become highlighted with a burgundy border as per indicated above. You can also Remove images by clicking on the button below. By default, a Primary Image must always be present otherwise you will be unable to save or publish the listing on EquusBook.
6. Adding a YouTube or Vimeo Video to your advert listing guide
Display a video on your listing - Want to stand out from the crowd? Why not feature a video on your listing allowing perspective buyers to watch your horse or pony perform in their natural environment. Featured videos also allow them to quickly view the animals overall movement, level of training and overall behaviour that significantly increases your chance of receiving an enquiry.
To add the YouTube video to your advert listing click on the SHARE button underneath the video. You then just need to copy the full URL https:// link from the pop-up Share box and paste into the video field on your advert listing.
To add the Vimeo video to your advert listing click on the SHARE button underneath the video. You then just need to copy the full URL https:// link from the pop-up Share this video box and paste into the video field on your advert listing.